There are some individuals and organizations such as Pro Whatcom that are worried about rapid growth in this area.
I am not necessarily against growth, but here are some marketing suggestions that people who are against growth might consider. A list of bad things about this area that might discourage folks from moving here. Negative marketing suggestions.
Feel free to use items from this list, even though I am not normally this pessimistic about things. It's just something to think about.
1. The source of drinking water for Bellingham and some of Whatcom County, (Lake Whatcom) has been declared a polluted body of water.
2. Housing is among the most expensive in Washington State.
3. People with masters degrees are often found waiting tables. Competition for jobs beyond low level service / retail sector jobs is fierce.
4. Northern latitude means long dark winters (don't mention long light period in summer).
5. Cloudy climate, and some other factors, lead to high suicide rates in western Washington.
6. I-5 corridor and proximity to Canadian border, creates lots of drug traffic and law enforcement needs.
7. Many desperate folks trying to get into Canada, or headed to Alaska, end up homeless in Bellingham.
8. Emergency medical services levy failed in 2004. The only public facility levy to pass in Bellingham (2004 election) was a much needed new jailhouse.
9. Rapid population growth is causing traffic snarls, growing pains and some resentment of newcomers by local residents.
10. Un like California with it's miles of "public access" beaches, much of our local shoreline is "private property."
11. Bellingham is occasionally called "Boringham."
12. A popular hangout is a bar that is sometimes nicknamed "Tumor's." (If Washington State passes a smoking ban, in pubs, that nickname may cease to apply.)